Thursday, January 21, 2010

sweet words

I have a lot to catch up on, but I didn't want to forget what happened the other day. So, I thought I'd make a note of it and then update some fun events as I get to them.

Ella has been learning her letters and their sounds. I don't know why it's so exciting, but hearing her spell a word for the first time just brings a smile to my heart. The other day she sounded out "Sparkles" to make a collar for one of her stuffed animals. It came out "SBORGLS" She wanted a 'z' on the end, but that one I insisted be an 's'. It was so sweet to hear her sound each part of the word and think of what letter made that sound. Then, in the car, she spelled "Mom" and "Baby" (Babi), Dad, rock (roc), and tree. She actually got tree right! I was so surprised I kept asking her how she knew that. She giggled and said "easily," "no one even told me." When I pressed further she said that it was at the end of one of her cartoons one morning and she noticed it had two e's. What a smarty pants.

Yesterday, she spelled TENT out of pretzel sticks. I just think kids are amazing. The way they learn, observe, and put things together. Not only that, but their enthusiasm and excitement for learning. I love to see her face light up as she figures out what sound something makes or puts things together for the first time. For some reason it feels like she's growing up all at once, when really she's been doing it all along, in different ways.

3 comments:

Breanne said...

smarty pants!

Nikki Jenson said...

I can't even get Keala to spell her name. She doesn't even know her letters yet. Hello!

Barney Family said...

Cute!!