Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Will's big day!

Last Tuesday was Leadership Day at Will's school. Will got selected from his whole class to present a speech about the 7 habits. Their school has adopted the "Leader in Me" program developed by the Covey clan and the students regularly practice things like being "proactive", putting "first things first", and thinking "win-win." I think it has helped students to think outside themselves a bit and also provided a language for being responsible that is very helpful. Will really worked hard on this speech and I was so proud to see him do such a good job. He was very composed and looked at everyone and spoke clearly. Man is he cute, too.

And as if that wasn't enough... that night was Will's very first Pinewood Derby. Apparently it's pretty hard to do well in our ward, as we have very talented (and competetive) craftsmen and fathers. I guess one family has won for the past 3 years straight! There were about 20 different racecars. Kimball did hometeaching and learned about putting graphite in the wheels and spinning them with a drill. Then, I went visiting teaching and the mom I taught told me where to find weights to put on the car. I wasn't too worried about it, but figured I could go pick some up while I had time. Will took 2nd place! (I guess it pays to go home and visiting teaching!) We weren't expecting anything, so we were all very surprised! He won the first two heats and then went head to head with the reigning champ, who still reigns... But we were so excited for him! What a big day. He got a special badge and they also passed out unique awards for every car and Will got the "Most Innovative" award.

3 comments:

Ria said...

I was so excited for him. That was a great evening.

Ross and Kathy said...

Congratulations to Will, first for his speech and second for his "fast" and great looking car. Good Job Will, and mom & dad too.

Erika said...

WOW!! On both accounts!