Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Learning from our mistakes

I've been working with Will on Math this summer. He gets really frustrated when he gets something wrong, to the point of slamming his pencil down and stomping off. I try to quickly tell him, "It's okay! It's just a mistake. That's how we learn." I think it's hard to accept that mistakes are an acceptable part of learning and growing in life. I think it's so metaphoric to be telling my son it's okay to make mistakes when I feel so awful everytime I make one. "That's why we're here," I should tell myself, "it's how we learn." I'll have to try and remember that more often.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

This is very zen of you. I am grooving on it.

Barney Family said...

Not exactly the same thing as what you are going through, but as a side note, homeschooling Jack is killing me. Our pattern: I point at a math problem and ask, "what is this?" He rolls his head back, flops to the side,kicks his legs in the air and says, "I can't do this!" Then I scream, "Yes you can! What is the answer!?" Then he glances back at the book, tells me the answer and runs away screaming, "I don't want to do school!" Then I call him back and point to the next question and say, "What is this?" And it repeats all over again. It takes FOREVER. The girls were never this way!