Friday, October 17, 2008

cultural immersion

We took the kids to Betos today because both our cars were in the shop. I didn't realize what a little cultural experience it would be! Will kept asking me what kind of music was playing, why they were singing in Spanish and how to say things in Spanish. Then, with no hesitation he'd wave to the cashier and say "hola!" The atmosphere was honestly so upbeat in that little restaurant. Everyone that came in seemed so content. It was refreshing to be in a place where I was the only mom with kids. The cashier and waitress kept smiling at Alex, but I'm pretty sure I heard the waitress use the words "bebe" and "como" and "abuela" in the same sentence. I know, he kind of does look like an old man sometimes, but I could've just missed too many of the words to be sure that's what she said. It's just funny when they say something and smile at you and they know that you have no idea what they just said. Anyway, when we left, Will shouted "Adios!" and "Gracias." I was glad we got to have that little experience and really yummy food and it was neat to encourage Will to learn some Spanish.

No comments: